Monday, December 8, 2008

The Flatboat Float

On Saturday we entered a float into the Rockport Christmas parade. Basically we decided to use the flatboat that we still had here at the amphitheatre. It was part of the old set of Young Abe Lincoln. It was easy enough to put that on a flatbed trailer and decorate it, but boy, I had no idea what I was in for during the parade itself.

My father is on the volunteer fire department at home so having been in several parades ... I considered myself somewhat of a seasoned veteran. Even so it was quite an experience keeping up with the float and handing out chocolate pennies and rack cards at the same time. One good thing about the speedy pace ... with all that adrenaline pumping I did not have time to get cold!

I do have to thank Mr. Lincoln, Ralph and my parents for helping during the parade ... what lifesavers they were! Here are a few pictures ... now remember, I never claimed to be a great photographer. Plus, cut me some slack ... they were in motion.




For a while we had Mr. Lincoln tossing the chocolate pennies to the kids, but we quickly changed that to handing them out after I saw a few roll into the street sewer. Bummer!

We'll also have our flatboat float in the Christmas in Santa Claus parade this Saturday so come see us ... we may even give you a chocolate Lincoln penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello -

Thank you for submitting a comment to our A. Lincoln Blog. It will be reviewed immediately.

Laura Barker
Lincoln Amphitheatre